Sunday, May 5, 2013

Who wants more soup?

When this question was asked Friday night when I served up my own version of the Chicken Corn Chowder recipe in the post from Friday, it was met with a resounding "ME" by everyone at the table. I did what I love to do - take a recipe proven as good and put my twist on it, thankfully enjoyed by everyone.

Here is what I did differently from the recipe: I used a bottle of beer in place of 12 oz of water; used about 1.5 lbs of chicken boneless, skinless chicken thighs seasoned with Wahoo Chili while cooking and further while they rested in prepping the soup; used 1 cup of cheese instead of 2; added diced red bell peppers right before serving.

My steps: cooked the chicken in a dutch oven with Wahoo Chili seasoning; removed to let rest, seasoned a bit further with Wahoo Chili; drained most of the liquid from the pan but left some for deeper flavor within the soup; added the soup mix, a bottle of beer, 4.5 cups water and cooked as directed; then added the remainder of ingredients, again with only half of the cheese. After letting it further simmer to let flavors come together, dished into bowls and topped with the diced red bell peppers. I would have also added green onions had we had them, but did not.

On the side, I served the below recipe but altered it by using the Savory Wheat Beer Bread Mix and mad them into biscuits instead of baking as a loaf of bread.

Fiesta Party Bread
Submitted by Teresa Ovalle (VA)

Ingredients
Bountiful Beer Bread Mix®
12 oz. lime flavored beer
1 1/2 Tbsp. Fiesta Party Dip Mix™


Obviously, it was a bit of a Cinco de Mayo menu just a couple of days early. And it is one I will be repeating for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment